Thursday, September 25, 2008

gestational diabetes

just got back from my diet planning session with the diabetic dietician. and i was right, there wasn't much they told me that i didn't already know, or had figured out on my own. however, i did learn a few things: like during pregnancy they like blood glucose levels to be lower than normal people. so, my fasting # of 101, was abt t20 pts higher than they were looking for. and my 1 hr level of 170 was abt 30 -40 pts higher than they wanted. which is why it only took the 1 hr test to diagnose me. they did give me a meter and teach me how to use it. after watching my mother-in-law for 7 years, i knew the basics.
i'm supposed to keep track 3 times a day, and keep track of my carbs as well. turns out, carb counting isn't hard at all. a tuna fish sandwich only has abt 30 carbs. mayo amd relish are free, and meats don't have carbs, just protein. the only carbs are in the bread. even the peaches g-ma brought me, have abt 7.5 carbs each (they are really small peaches). so my lunch had abt 45 carbs today. not bad if i do say so myself.
the midwife is going to call in an rx for the supplies i need for the meter. and cause it's pregnancy related (obviously!), the medicaid will cover it!

1 comment:

Brushdragon said...

You know, While we work opposing hours of the day, it is nice to be able to read here to see what has happened in the day. Sorry for the most part that I am completely out of it in the afternoons before you go to work...I'm still asleep :)Some things I know, and others, well, I Don't know if you told me or not, but it is nice to have a reminder from here. Love you.