Monday, September 13, 2010

labor story

i just realized, after reading thru past entries on here, that i never did tell the story about ashley's birth. so, here goes.

i went to my doctor's appointment that morning, where the doctor informed me that he was going to induce me that day. came home and got things prepared.
on the way in, we needed to stop and make a payment on the van, get shaun's license renewed (it was going to expire in 2 days), shaun needed to stop in at the shop and talk to someone, and i think there was one other thing we did.
got up to the hospital, i had shaun park in the family spots for maternity, since we weren't in labor, and didn't need the close spots. walked in and ran into a couple of people shaun knew. talked to them for a few minutes. got up to maternity and checked in.
they got me back in the room around 2. got me changed and on the monitors, and said they were going to call the doctor to come and break my water. i told them i wanted an epidural before the doctor broke my water. he had told me we could do that, and as painless as shannon's labor was, i wanted that again. (especially since i hyperventilate from the pain)
2:30, the anesthesiologist came up and got my epidural in. since they won't let you out of bed after you get one, i stayed put. they put a pillow under my left side, and my blood pressure dropped and i started feeling sick. the nurse gave me a shot of ephedrine to help with it, and i had that nasty metallic taste in my mouth for a few minutes. my blood pressure dropped again, and i got dizzy and nauseous, she had to give me another shot.
3:30, the doctor came in to break my water. we talked a little bit about the dizziness and the dropping blood pressure. he said it was because i was flat on my back. we raised my head a little, and moved the pillow to my right side because it was cold and more numb than the left. then he broke my water.had another drop in blood pressure and another shot to counteract it. then i discovered that if i was almost completely on my left side, i wasn't dizzy, and i was able to think and talk. spent the rest of the time on my side.
4:30, they started me on pitocin to help the labor along. i wasn't progressing on my own.
5:30, they upped the dose of pitocin.
part of the time, shaun and i talked about his story from his bfa. there were some parts that i was very confused about. we talked about those, and did some thinking on some others.the rest, i actually tried to sleep.
6:45, the nurse came in to check me, cause they had seen my contractions get to the point that it was time. she told me she was going to call the nurse, and to not push. apparently, the baby was VERY ready. not quite crowned, but close. i thought she must be crazy. i hadn't felt any of the contractions, or the need to push. i could feel some tightening right under my ribs sometimes, but that was it.
the doctor showed up, and while he was getting his gown on, i finally felt the urge to push. he got in position, and i pushed. she crowned, and got her head out. half a push later, and she was here. i actually felt her move down the birth canal, it was so cool! easiest labor i've ever had.

ashley nicole was born at 7:16 pm; weighed 6 pounds, 13 ounces; was 19 inches long; and had a 13 inch head.

No comments: