Saturday, September 26, 2015

trolls

beware, you may not like what this post says. i don't care. it's not for you.

i homeschool. it was a decision that took years to come to, and was decided upon with my entire family executive council. 
there was no one reason that was the sole influence or deciding factor. they all had equal weight. i know what they are/were and that's all that matters. 

yesterday i posted an image on my facebook wall that explained ONE reason why i homeschool. and oh my word, out came the trolls! (and they were family members)
"what about socialization?"
"you're saying that anyone not homeschooled doesn't have that ability?"
"they need to learn to deal with people they can't stand."

are you aware that over 75% of public schooling is about socialization? what does that say about what our society thinks is important? and how is throwing 30 kids the same age together mimicking real life socialization? my peers are not made up of only people my own age, are yours? if i were to get a job, my manager would not be my age, nor would the rest of my coworkers. if you can't learn these skills in the home, where you are loved unconditionally, then were can you learn them?
are you telling me that by attending my church and their activities, and joining other groups won't give my kids the same kind of socialization? we don't sit at home all day every day and twiddle our thumbs. we have activities and field trips, and play dates we attend on a regular basis.

no, i'm not saying that everyone public schooled lacks that specific ability. i was merely stating that this was ONE of my goals in homeschooling my kids. there is a whole grab bag of goals and reasons. on any given day, i can give you a different one. but i don't have to justify myself to you. and i won't.

you may not like the decisions i make about raising MY children. that's fine. they're not yours. every decision i make is done so for my families good. 

you don't have to like the decisions i've made or will make. that's fine. you don't have to agree with them either. if you want to continue to be in my life, don't tell me they are wrong. don't tell me what i should be doing instead. support me. tell me that you don't agree but that you understand that i have to do what i think is right for my kids and my family, and you will support me in that.

stop trying to steal the wind from my sails. i'm good enough at that on my own.

No comments: